Welcome to the Fairfax County (VA) Federation. We are THE
Association for the County's Homeowner, Civic, and Community
organizations. Join us as we work together on issues that impact all
Fairfax County residents.
Fairfax County Volunteer Citizen of the Year
Nominations can be submitted from 1 December 2018 until 31 January 2019
Whom will you nominate?
Each year, a selection committee of county-wide organizations meets to review nominations for the Federation's "Citizen of the Year" and Citation(s) of Merit.
The winners are honored at our annual banquet scheduled this year for spring 2019. Both the Citizen of the Year Designation and Citation(s) of Merit recognize and honor those citizens whose voluntary contributions of time and talent have resulted in major accomplishments that have enhanced the quality of life for citizens of Fairfax County.
The Nomination form is available online
and in RTF format
The 2018 Nomination period is from 1 December 2018 to 31 January 2019
We thank those who honor their fellow citizens by nominating them for consideration.
Federation Inclement Weather Policy
Next Federation Membership Meeting
Thursday, 20 December 2018, 7:30 PM
Since that short snow fall last month canceled our November meeting, we are excited to present that very important program at this month's meeting.
This Public Safety presentation shares the results of both the Fairfax County Independent Police Auditor and the Civilian Review Panel. You may see the program announcement here (link to file 2) and review the entire presentation here. (link to file 3) Discussions and questions are encouraged.
Besides some announcements, the Board will be putting to the membership for discussion and vote four resolutions:
As always, Federation meetings are open to the public - bring an interested neighbor or another officer in your association.
The Fairfax County Federation of Citizens Association will focus on the Fairfax County Independent Police Auditor, and the Fairfax County Civilian Review Panel
- Resolution on Ratifying the ERA - The Federation urges the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia to ratify and affirm the Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
- Resolution on FCPS Strategic Plan - The Federation commends the new Superintendent, recommends Fairfax County Public Schools create manageable strategic initiatives, engage in "best practices", and establish a Department of Strategic Planning and Innovation.
- Resolution on Lighting Ordinance - The Federation supports Fairfax County streetlight conversions to LED, encourages lighting industry best practices, and requests monitoring artificial blue light emissions on ocular health, circadian systems and animal species.
- Resolution on Supporting the Flood Plain Ordinance - The Federation urges the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors to deny amendments to the comprehensive plan which may create adverse impacts to local environment and it supports the Environmental Quality Advisory Council position to deny a proposed change to the Comprehensive Plan.
Richard Schott, Fairfax County Independent Police Auditor
Anna Northcutt, Member, Fairfax County Police Civilian Review Panel
Mason Governmental Center, Main Community Room
6507 Columbia Pike, Annandale, VA 22003
Members' Agenda (posted week of meeting)
Previous Month's Draft Member Meeting Minutes for Approval
Next Federation Board Meeting
Thursday, 6 December 2018, at 7:00 p.m.
This is our annual holiday board dinner, which will be at
Glory Days Grill, Pan Am Shopping Center, 3059 Nutley St NW, Fairfax, VA 22031
Please RSVP to the Federation president at Fed pres 2019 @ FairfaxFederation.org
Draft minutes of previous Board meeting
Board Agenda (posted week of meeting)
Search this site!
Cut and paste this string into Google with your search words:
for example: "inurl:www.fairfaxfederation.org BRAC"
"inurl:www.fairfaxfederation.org Dulles Rail"
The Federation in the Media
Check out references to the Federation in the local media!
- 17 January 19 - TBD - Reston Community Center
- 21 February - 2020 Fairfax County and Public Schools Budgets - TBD
- 21 March - Enforcement of Short Term Lodging (AirBnB and its ilk) regulations - Bradock Hall
- 24 January 2019 - Dunn-Loring Community Center
- 28 February 2019 - West Springfield Government Center
- 28 March - TBD
Approved Federation Actions
- Citizen Association Services
- The Federation collaborated with the County in putting on a Open Forum the Commonwealth's Association Complaint Procedure requirements at the County Government Center. (31 July 2012)
- On 29 January 2018 Nancy Trainer spoke to the Fairfax County School Board on the Proposed FY 2019 FCPS School Budget on behalf of the Board
- On 30 January 2017 Nancy Trainer spoke to the Fairfax County School Board on the Proposed FY 2018 FCPS School Budget on behalf of the Board
- On 28 January 2016 Ed Saperstein spoke to the Fairfax County School Board on the Proposed FY 2017 FCPS School Budget on behalf of the Education Committee
- The membership approved a Resolution on Advanced Academic Program on 17 Sep 2015
- Letter to FCPS Board on the Fairfax County Public Schools Long Range Strategic Plan (26 Jan 15 )
- Testimony to FCPS Board on the preliminary FCPS FY16 Budget (19 Jan 15 )
- Verbal testimony to FCPS Board on the Superintendents Proposed FCPS FY13 Budget speaking for the Federation's Education Committee (15 May 2012)
- Verbal testimony to FCPS Board on the Superintendents Proposed FCPS FY13 Budget speaking for the Federation's Executive Committee (30 Jan 2012)
- Testimony to FCPS Board on the Advertised FCPS FY12 Budget (17 May 11)
- Testimony to FCPS Board on the Superintendent's Proposed FCPS FY12 Budget (24 Jan 11)
- Letter to Governor McDonnell
to urge that the Local Composite Index (LCI) for the distribution of funds to the state's school districts be recalculated this year according to the normal two-year schedule, and not delayed by a year (7 Feb 10) (formal version as transmitted)
- Testimony to FCPS Board FY08 Budget (01/29/07)
- Provided testimony on the FCPS Superintendents' Proposed 2010 Budget, Verbal and Written
- Input to VDOT on the proposed I-66 Inside Beltway Multi-Modal Improvements (30 Jun 2015)
- Testimony on the I-66 Outside Beltway Environment Impact Statement (28 May 2015)
- Resolution asking for funding of Phase 2 study of transportation along the Route 1 corridor (20 Nov 2014)
- Resolution supporting the 2014 Transportation Bond Referendum (16 Oct 2014)
- Letter to the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority on Transaction 2040 (28 April 2011)
Around the County
Flint Webb, Environment Comm. Chair, recognized for his service on the Metropolitan Washington Air Quality Committee, Technical Advisory Committee from 2005-2008
Inside Scoop-VA Tyson's Corner Task Force Video former Federation President John Jennison and Fairfax Chamber of Commerce President Bill Lecos
presentation to the Federation by Dr. Richard Moniuszko, Deputy
Superintendent of Fairfax County Public Schools, and Deirdre McLaughlin,
Assistant Superintendent for Financial Services: (Slides) (Slides with Notes)
Environment Quality Advisory Council (EQAC) Reports |