Welcome to the Fairfax County (VA) Federation. We are THE
Association for the County's Homeowner, Civic, and Community
organizations. Join us as we work together on issues that impact all
Fairfax County residents.
Congratulations to the newly elected
2019-2020 Federation Officers
President: Bill Barfield
First Vice President: John Pickman
Second Vice President: Pete Sitnik
Treasurer: Leslie Braun
Recording Secretary: John Birch
Corresponding Secretary: Erika Yalowitz
Follow this link for brief biographical sketches of the candidates
Federation Inclement Weather Policy
Next Federation Membership Meeting
Thursday, 16 May 2019, 7:30 PM
As always, Federation meetings are open to the public - bring an interested neighbor or another officer in your association.
We will be voting on:
Program: Enforcement of Short-Term Rentals by Don Hinman & Sue Shuman,
Co-Chairs, Federation Citizen Association Services Committee
After much debate over the last few years, Fairfax County passed in October 2018 an ordinance regulating short-term rental of homes and apartments under providers such as AirBnB, FlipKey and VRBO. An 18-month test period was allotted to determine the effectiveness and enforceable of this new ordinance.After the Federation advocated for the General Assembly in January to not modify the on-going test, the status of this needed, yet controversial, ordinance is discussed.
- Treasurer — Status of application for tax exemption and 501c4 application
- Human Services Committee — Update on Federation Resolution on Robocalls
- Citizen of the Year Committee — Summary of the April COY Awards & Banquet
Fairfax County Government Complex, Conference Room 7
12000 Government Center Pkwy
Enter on main floor, bear left and pass through the BOS Chairman Portrait Gallery (for which we obtained the portraits) and continue to Conference Room 7
Fairfax, VA 22035
Members' Agenda (posted week of meeting)
Previous Month's Draft Member Meeting Minutes for Approval
Next Federation Board Meeting
Thursday, 23 May 2019, at 7:30 p.m.
Dunn Loring Center, Room 108 (Entrance 2)
2334 Gallows Road, Dunn Loring, VA 22027
Draft minutes of previous Board meeting
Board Agenda (posted week of meeting)
Opening for Summer Interns to Update the Federation's Websites/Database and/or increase our social media presence
The Fairfax Federation would like to redesign its membership database and website. If you know students with the ability to help us with this effort and who would like to volunteer as an intern over the summer months, please have them contact the Federation Webmaster. Responses by 30 June would be appreciated. You are encourage to forward this request to those who you think are qualified and interested.
The database structure redesign would entail organizing the membership records by organization with attributes assignable to membership organizations, individual representatives of the member organizations, and financial reports of yearly membership activity.
The website structure redesign would entail refreshing our current site with the aim of organizing the data therein contained so that it is more logically presented and easily maintained.
Increasing our social media presence would involve coordinating the Federation presence on Facebook, Linkedin, and Twitter.
Intern applicants should submit examples of their current efforts.
Search this site!
Cut and paste this string into Google with your search words:
for example: "inurl:www.fairfaxfederation.org BRAC"
"inurl:www.fairfaxfederation.org Dulles Rail"
The Federation in the Media
Check out references to the Federation in the local media!
- 20 June — Thursday, 6:30 PM at the Mason District Park, 6621 Columbia Pike, Annandale
Annual Picnic, Chairman Bulova discusses the State of Fairfax County, Installation of the new officers.
- July and August — No Summer Meetings
- 19 September — TBD
- 27 June — Dunn Loring Center
- 25 July — TBD
- 22 August — TBD
- 26 September — TBD
Approved Federation Actions
- Citizen Association Services
- The Federation collaborated with the County in putting on a Open Forum the Commonwealth's Association Complaint Procedure requirements at the County Government Center. (31 July 2012)
- On 29 January 2018 Nancy Trainer spoke to the Fairfax County School Board on the Proposed FY 2019 FCPS School Budget on behalf of the Board
- On 30 January 2017 Nancy Trainer spoke to the Fairfax County School Board on the Proposed FY 2018 FCPS School Budget on behalf of the Board
- On 28 January 2016 Ed Saperstein spoke to the Fairfax County School Board on the Proposed FY 2017 FCPS School Budget on behalf of the Education Committee
- The membership approved a Resolution on Advanced Academic Program on 17 Sep 2015
- Letter to FCPS Board on the Fairfax County Public Schools Long Range Strategic Plan (26 Jan 15 )
- Testimony to FCPS Board on the preliminary FCPS FY16 Budget (19 Jan 15 )
- Verbal testimony to FCPS Board on the Superintendents Proposed FCPS FY13 Budget speaking for the Federation's Education Committee (15 May 2012)
- Verbal testimony to FCPS Board on the Superintendents Proposed FCPS FY13 Budget speaking for the Federation's Executive Committee (30 Jan 2012)
- Testimony to FCPS Board on the Advertised FCPS FY12 Budget (17 May 11)
- Testimony to FCPS Board on the Superintendent's Proposed FCPS FY12 Budget (24 Jan 11)
- Letter to Governor McDonnell
to urge that the Local Composite Index (LCI) for the distribution of funds to the state's school districts be recalculated this year according to the normal two-year schedule, and not delayed by a year (7 Feb 10) (formal version as transmitted)
- Testimony to FCPS Board FY08 Budget (01/29/07)
- Provided testimony on the FCPS Superintendents' Proposed 2010 Budget, Verbal and Written
- Input to VDOT on the proposed I-66 Inside Beltway Multi-Modal Improvements (30 Jun 2015)
- Testimony on the I-66 Outside Beltway Environment Impact Statement (28 May 2015)
- Resolution asking for funding of Phase 2 study of transportation along the Route 1 corridor (20 Nov 2014)
- Resolution supporting the 2014 Transportation Bond Referendum (16 Oct 2014)
- Letter to the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority on Transaction 2040 (28 April 2011)
Around the County
Flint Webb, Environment Comm. Chair, recognized for his service on the Metropolitan Washington Air Quality Committee, Technical Advisory Committee from 2005-2008
Inside Scoop-VA Tyson's Corner Task Force Video former Federation President John Jennison and Fairfax Chamber of Commerce President Bill Lecos
presentation to the Federation by Dr. Richard Moniuszko, Deputy
Superintendent of Fairfax County Public Schools, and Deirdre McLaughlin,
Assistant Superintendent for Financial Services: (Slides) (Slides with Notes)
Environment Quality Advisory Council (EQAC) Reports |