Fairfax County Federation of Citizens Associations
Fairfax County Citizen of the Year Nomination
Purpose of the Award:
The Citizen of the Year Award and Citation(s) of Merit recognize and honor those Fairfax County residents whose voluntary contributions of time and talent have resulted in major accomplishments or who have enhanced the quality of life for citizens of Fairfax County
- Nominees must be current residents of Fairfax County.
- The Citizen of the Year is recognized for voluntary acts that are not related to employment.
- The Fairfax County Federation of Citizens Associations (The Federation) sponsors the Fairfax County Citizen of the Year Award.
- After the nomination period is over the Federation chairs a selection committee of countywide organizations to review Citizen of the Year nominations for recognition at an annual springtime banquet.
Special Gratitude Awards:
- Contributions and accomplishments must have countywide rather than local significance.
- The nominee's achievements can be either:
- General, such as multi-year community service with one or more organizations or activities with cumulative impact over the years of current importance or with positive implications for the future, or
- Specific, including intense efforts as the major promoter of a single program or project completed in a finite period of time.
- Achievements by elected officials and full-time County or Commonwealth employees are ineligible for consideration if the contributions are employment related. If so, they may be considered for a Special Gratitude Award (see below)
Be sure to include as much detail as possible. If necessary, attach additional sheets or endorsements of the nominee by others, as there will be no further contact for information. The Federation will not consider nominations postmarked, emailed or submitted online after 15 March 2021.
- Persons who do not meet the eligibility standards for Citizen of the Year consideration but whose contributions of time and talent resulted in major accomplishments that have enhanced the quality of life for citizens of Fairfax County may still be recognized. These include:
- Deceased residents
- Elected officials and full-time County or Commonwealth employees whose contributions are employment related.
- Please submit information about these nominees on the form below, checking the Special Gratitude Awards box.
The Nomination period is 1 December 2020 to 31 January 2021 – The nomination period will remain open until 15 March 2021
We thank those who honor their fellow citizens by nominating them for consideration.